Hol up, wait a minute…. *Meek Mill voice* Can y’all believe it’s really August!?
We’re really in August, which is practically the Sunday of the summer.
Not gonna lie…I stole that joke from the Internet and have no shame in it! Anyways…check out this past week’s trending topics, brought to you by TheOriginalChatman.com.
1. Sony unveils a new trailer for the standalone “Venom” movie.
- “The World Has Enough Superheroes” flashes thru out the second official trailer of Sony’s standalone Spider-man film, Venom. In this trailer, we see more of what Venom looks like.
- The film follows journalist Eddie Brock (played by Tom Hardy) uncovering the truth behind an evil scientist releasing alien symbiotes on unsuspecting everyday citizens.
- Venom looks to be extremely darker compared to previous Spider-man entries. Check out the trailer below!
2. Colin Kaepernick’s name is bleeped out on a song from Madden 19; YG and Big Sean react to the news; meanwhile EA, the company responsible for Madden games issue an “apology.”
- Imagine having a person’s name–not a curse word!— bleeped out from a rap song in a video game. Who does that!?
- This was the case when the Internet caught wind of EA’s slip-up within “Madden NFL 19”.
- The error occurs halfway thru Big Sean‘s verse on YG‘s song “Big Bank.” Sean raps, “I lead the pack and sh-t/you boys all cap, I’m like Colin Kaepernick.”
- EA issued an apology with: “We messed up, and the edit should never have happened. We meant no disrespect, and we apologize to Colin, to YG and Big Sean, to the NFL, to all of their fans and our players for this mistake.” For the full apology, read it here.
3. Sanaa Lathan shares the first trailer for her Netflix-assisted film, Nappily Ever After.
- The upcoming Netflix film Nappily Ever After mirrors the identity crisis of Violet Jones’ need to be in control over every aspect of her life–until one day she breaks down and decides to free herself by shaving her head.
- Nappily Ever After is a film adaptation of its literary predecessor by author Trisha R. Thomas starring Sanaa Lathan and others.
- Lathan took the method acting approach and showed the world her shaved head in an Instagram video from late 2017.
[Source(s): Entertainment Weekly; AJC]
4. Drake finally unleashes the video for “In My Feelings.”
- The video for the song of the summer (NON-debatable fact) is finally here! It features cameos from Shiggy (the Instagram sensation who started the #InMyFeelings challenge), LaLa Anthony, and the illustrious Phylicia Rashad.
- No words for the video..just ENJOY it, because I deflee (word to Jess Hilarious) did!
Fri. + Sat. (8/3 and 8/4)
5. A tie worn by Randy Moss becomes the centerpiece of attention from the NFL Hall of Fame ceremony.
- The Internet has a way of making things blow up or go downhill. Depending on the circumstance, public figures are unfortunately are caught in that crossfire when they trade a regular life for fame and fortune.
- Over the weekend, former player Randy Moss wore a necktie to the Football Hall of Fame ceremony that represented the names of black men, women, and children who lost their lives to police brutality or while in police custody.
- Moss explained his choice of neckwear after the ceremony ended on camera with this anecdote:
“What I wanted to be able to express with my tie is to let these families know that they’re not alone. I’m not here, you know, voicing, but by these names on my tie, and a big platform as the Pro Football Hall of Fame—there’s a lot of stuff going on in our country, and I just wanted to let these family members know that they’re not alone.”
6. Cardi B lists her favorite female MCs via her Twitter.
- Seeing as nobody really cosigned Cardi when she came up, I’m sure it means a lot to her fellow female emcees that she is co-signing for them!
Weekly Wrap-Up [July 9-July 14th]