Happy Sunday! Two weeks into 2018..how’s everyone holdin’ up with their resolutions? Personally, I abandoned resolutions and decided to break them down into long-term and short-term goals to be accomplished throughout the year. Anyways, this week was lit! Check out the trending topics for the second week of January.
1. Christian Combs will serve as the newest model for Dolce&Gabana.
- Rapper Christian Combs — whose father is hip-hop mogul/ icon Diddy — adds another title to his resume. Christian inked a deal as the new face of luxury fashion brand Dolce & Gabana. Combs had a previous relationship with the company modeling for them last summer and fall, so the deal with D&G naturally makes sense.
- Christian shared the news on his Instagram.
Source: Page Six
2. Swedish retail company H&M has received criticism for its “Coolest Monkey In The Jungle” hoodie—modeled by a young black child.
- Taking notes from last year’s Pepsi advertising hiccups, retail giant H&M caught hell when they released an ad of a young black boy modeling a green hoodie that said, “Coolest Monkey In The Jungle.”
- As a result of their blunder, artists The Weekend and G-Eazy have denounced their partnerships with the retail company due to its offensive ad.
- H&M issued a statement apologizing for its ” unintentional casual racism” vowing to prevent it happening again in the future.
3. Kendrick Lamar reveals a sneak peek into his shoe deal with Nike.
- Kendrick Lamar teamed up for his first signature deal with Nike in the Cortez Kenny 1. K.Dot originally debuted the kicks on Monday’s CFP National Championship in Atlanta.
- Sporting a white leather upper with red stitching and identical DAMN. branding, the Cortez Kenny 1 drops on January 26th, and retail price is $100. Will you be getting a pair?
4. Jeff Bezos, the founder and CEO of Amazon, is currently the world’s richest man. He pays it forward literally in the best way possible!
- Bezos donated $33 million for college scholarships to ‘Dreamers’, a group of illegal immigrants brought to the U.S. by their parents.
- The donation was made in his father’s name who fled Cuba at 15 and went to college in the US.
5. The Black Eyed Peas return with new music after a seven-year hiatus.
- Their newest single, “Street Justice” is in the same vein as their 2003 big hit, “Where’s the Love”, and serves as an ode to several of America’s socioeconomic issues such as discrepancies in the school system, gun violence, and prison reform.
- Watch the video/purchase the single here.
Source: Okayplayer, LA Times, and Black Eyed Peas official site
Thurs/Fri. 1/11 – 1/12
- Ryan Reynolds reveals the new release date of Deadpool 2 will be May 18th instead of June 1st.
- Top Dawg Entertainment pushed out another release from the soundtrack for Marvel’s Black Panther. The latest cut “King’s Dead” is by Jay Rock featuring Kendrick Lamar, Future, and James Blake. Check it out here.
- The Queen of Hip-Hop Soul Mary J. Blige earned a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, which also happened to be her 47th birthday too!
That’s it for the second week of January! Thanks for tuning into TheOriginalChatman.com. Catch y’all next week!