Happy Sunday everyone! Welcome to TheOriginalChatman’s™ GRAMMYs Edition weekly wrap-up for the final week of January. In honor of the Grammys, I’ve hand-selected topics regarding two potential winners for tonight. 7:30 on CBS, don’t forget! Will you be watching? This past week, a lot of great talent has made power moves within and outside the music industry. Also, Top Dawg Entertainment (home to Kendrick Lamar and SZA among others) will be putting on a mega tour with all its artists! CAN WE ALL AGREE THAT THIS WILL BE THE TOUR OF A LIFETIME THOUGH!?
1. Childish Gambino signs a deal with RCA Records.
- Modern day renaissance man Donald Glover, better known to the world as Childish Gambino, has signed a new deal partnering up with RCA Records.
- Glover left his long-term indie label Glassnote Records over creative differences between him and Glassnote stemming from his 2014 album, Because the Internet.
- According to Billboard, Glover’s new music will be released sometime this year. (Sidenote: SZA is also signed to RCA Records. If they happen to do a collab record, I would be here for it all the way!)
2. Complex’s Everyday Struggle web show started a new season and new co-host!
- Exit stage right Joe Budden, and enter stage left Star!
- Complex’s popular web series Everyday Struggle lost one-third of its Internet firepower when Joe Budden left the show amidst contract negotiations in late December.
- The show still features Dj Akademiks as host, and Ndeska Alexis as moderator. Their new co-host is legendary New York radio personality Star of the Star and Bucwild Show.
3. Quavo (of Atlanta rap trio Migos) announces his 6 favorite MCs list–and you’ll be surprised at the line-up.
- Rap veteran journalist Touré of Rolling Stone magazine sat down with the Migos last month and penned a cover story you can check out here.
- Touré asked Quavo for his top five list, and he took it a step further and named six.
- Here’s the list in order: Tupac, Biggie, Jay-Z, Eminem, Gucci Mane..and himself. Do you agree with the list, let alone ranking himself last?
Source(s): DjBooth, Rolling Stone
4. SZA appears in commercials for MasterCard and The Gap— all within one day!
- SZA is making a name for herself with everything she touches. This week, the TDE songstress made an appearance in global ad campaigns for MasterCard and The Gap.
- MasterCard uses her uniqueness to push the “Start Something Priceless” narrative, meanwhile The Gap celebrates their 50th anniversary alongside other cultural personalities including renowned producer Metro Boomin. Feel free to check out both ads below.
6. Dreamville’s Cozz announces a new project releasing soon, titled Effected.
7. Apple will release a Animoji-related commercial for Donald Glover’s REDBONE duirng Grammy’s night.
Welp, that’s it! I’ll be back on Monday morning with a review of the 60th Academy Awards (the Grammys). Catch y’all next week!