“I took a hiatus, now I’m back on you haters!” (Hov voice/Hov laugh)
P.S. Not a real Jay-Z quote, as far as I know. Anyways, check out the weekly wrap-up for the second week of February brought to you by TheOriginalChatman.
1. Cozz’s new album Effected is on the way, so the Dreamville-affiliated rapper releases the album’s tracklist along with the release date.
- While Top Dawg Entertainment (Kendrick Lamar, SZA) is tearing up the industry with its tours and imminent Hollywood takeover, the J.Cole-helmed label Dreamville is quietly making moves also.
- Cozz’s new album Effected— a title paying homage to his first mixtape Cozz and Effect— will be available this Tuesday, February 13th. He’s already released two singles, “Badu” featuring Curren$y and “Ignorant Confidence.” Check out the album art below.
Source(s): Instagram (@cozz)/Twitter (@cody__macc)
2. Donald Glover appears in the first trailer for “Solo: A Star Wars Story.”
- Donald Glover is constantly balancing duties between music, film, and television like it’s nothing. No biggie, to be honest!
- Originally, a teaser dropped on SuperBowl Sunday with the full trailer available for fan enjoyment the following day.
- While Glover’s Lando Calrissian character doesn’t do much speaking in the Solo trailer, it’s assumed Glover supporting role will be one for the ages. Here’s the full trailer for the film. What does everyone think of the film’s trailer?
3. Kendrick Lamar and SZA’s video for “All the Stars” continues to build anticipation for Marvel’s Black Panther.
- Can we skip over other movies for the rest of 2018 and crown Black Panther as the best film of all time? No? Yes? Is my geek showing? I know the movie hasn’t been released yet, but my expectations are already out of this world!
- Dave Meyers and The Little Homies (Meyers and Kendrick Lamar himself) blessed us with the official music video for “All The Stars”, the lead single from Black Panther The Album.
- In the video, Kendrick and SZA are seen surrounded by literal black panthers, an aesthetic of bright colors and a biblical-like landscape similar to Wakanda, the fictional setting from Black Panther. Check out the visually stunning and wonderfully illustrated video below.
4. Bruno Mars proposes that the NFL take place in Atlanta next year, and that the half-time acts be prominent hip-hop artists from the past and present.
- Taking one step ahead of everyone, Bruno Mars boldly proposes via Twitter that the 2019 SuperBowl honor hip-hop by allowing prominent artists of the city play the half-time show.
- “NFL, you have the opportunity to celebrate incredible Hip Hop Artist from Atlanta next year. Outkast, T.I., Gucci, Lil Jon, Jeezy, Jermaine Dupri just to name a few. it would be the best party Tv has ever seen!”
- While hip-hop has long transitioned into the mainstream, I find it hard to believe the NFL will allow any of Atlanta’s rap gatekeepers that Bruno tweeted about to actually be there. Not because they are sub-par as artists/performers, it’s just that hip-hop and the NFL seem like an unlikely partnership moving forward in already divisive political climate we live in.
5. R&B/soul virtuoso Anderson .Paak promises a new album sometime this year!
- It’s been two years since we’ve last received a solo project from Anderson .Paak.
- According to .Paak, the album is in its mixing stages and will be released sometime this year, as he is still under the guidance of Dr. Dre and Aftermath Records.
6. J.I.D. drops a music video for “EdEddnEddy” paying homage to the classic CartoonNetwork cartoon.
7. “The Autobiography Of Gucci Mane” will be getting the movie treatment!
- Gucci Mane’s life story will soon be known to casual and die-hard fans of Gucci!
- Earlier this week, it was reported that the rights to The Autobiography of Gucci Mane were bought by Paramount Pictures.
- Before the news was official, Gucci strongly suggested his book-turned-movie deal via Twitter.
Thanks for supporting me y’all! I have something special coming up soon, so be on the look out for that!